Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Peaches and Their Offspring


Remember when we got all those peaches from Colorado? They were sweet and delicious and dripping with peachy goodness. The problem with such seasonal bounty is that it goes quickly and once it's gone you can't do anything but mourn its loss, but if you try and draw things out too much you be left with rotten produce, and that makes no one happy. So...



















We had to find ways of preserving that seasonal peachy goodness, and, much as you might suspect, in addition to trying a couple of new desserts, we went with our old stand-bys: liqueur and tasty preserves.
























After a month of steeping, I strained, filtered and bottled the liqueur. It smells lovely and tastes promising. This left me with the question of what to do with the booze-soaked fruit (We couldn't possible just throw it away! That's precious fruit and even more precious alcohol!), and I went with the ever popular option of boozyfruit bundt cake.



















The peaches don't come through super strongly in the cake above, but the taste was quite good. We're eating it here with a side of rose petal ice cream. My mom got a beautiful and productive rose bush this year and I was looking for a culinary use for rose petals. I modified the recipe slightly by cutting the number of egg yolks to two and adding one tsp of rose water and a couple drops of red food coloring. Julie hated the ice cream, saying that it tasted like eating perfume, and quickly pushed it off onto my plate. I quite liked it, though it was really too sweet. I'd cut the sugar to at least 2/3 of a cup (1/2 cup is standard for ice cream recipes this size). You have to embrace the idea of flowers for dessert, though, for it to work.

No comments: