Monday, April 21, 2008

Amaretto Raisin Swirl Ice Cream



I'm generally suspicious of recipes produced by the American Stuffnstuff Promotion council. The last one of these that Julie tried was some sort of chocolate sauerkraut cake, conceived by the National Sauerkraut Alliance (or something), that she inflicted on sweetly shared with her colleagues at work. The best thing that could be said about this cake was that some people didn't think it tasted too strongly of sauerkraut. So when she brought home a calendar of recipes from the California Raisin Marketing Board, let's say I was dubious and did a certain amount of reflexive eye-rolling. But I'm here to repent and atone and prostrate myself at the feet of the raisin marketing gods, because they gave us the recipe for some incredibly tasty ice cream. Hopefully, with this ringing endorsement, they will forgive me my earlier skepticism and also forgive me for having been out of raisins and having substituted dried currants (which, it turns out, actually are a kind of raisin and not a currant at all, so they probably won't mind).



The recipe can be found here, and the ice cream is some of the creamiest I've made in a long time, and also one of the easiest to make because it doesn't require you to make a custard. In fact, I was able to make the whole thing in one evening. It's a really incredible combination of fruit, spice and cream. The amaretto doesn't really come across as a distinct flavor, but you can tell that it makes everything richer and deeper.

I promise to be more trusting of my raisin overlords in the future.

No comments: