Thursday, April 17, 2008

Raspberry Brownies


Sometimes the internet is a wonderful thing. All you have to do is make a reasonable supposition that something exists and lo and behold it will. The other week I though to myself, "You know what would probably be tasty, raspberry brownies." I then went about proving that such things existed. You do need some pre-existing knowledge to help separate the wheat from the chaff, though. The first recipe I looked at looked promising at first, but on closer inspection looked to be one of those horrible cake-y approached to brownies. (I know that reasonable people can disagree here, but for me brownies are meant to be dense, tender fudgey morsels of head-melting chocolateness. Eating brownies from a box mix means that I am sad and/or will eat whatever's in front of me, despite its strong resemblance to styrofoam topped with chocolate syrup.) So I kept looking, and eventually settled on a combination of this fine recipe and this one. Below is my version.

Over a low flame or in the microwave, melt 8oz (2 sticks) butter and 6oz unsweetened chocolate, then allow to cool slightly. Mix in 2 cups sugar, then beat in four eggs, one at a time. Add a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur (we used our homemade stuff, Chambord is the most common commercial one), and stir to combine. Sift in 1.5 cups flour and stir until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup pecans.
Put 3/4 cup raspberry jam in a sauce pan with another tablespoon of the raspberry liqueur and heat until just softened. Pour 2/3 of the brownie batter into a grease 9" x 13" pan. Spread the melted jam gently over the top, then cover with the remaining third of the batter.
Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out with maybe some crumbs but no batter (do not over bake you brownies, they will be sad).

No comments: