Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chocolate dinner party

At Jeremy's part time job, he works with such fun, nice people, some of whom happen to also be vegetarians. We started a veggie potluck, which meets about every other month, and so far it's been a roaring success. Jeremy and I decided to invite just three of the girls, Sheena, Jessica and Katie, to our house for a smaller dinner party. Always ready for a theme, I proposed a few options, including my-favorite-recipe and chocolate. Jeremy scoffed at my chocolate idea, but it quickly became the preferred theme. Chocolate it is!

Sheena volunteered for "salad" before she realized it was a chocolate themed dinner. But, trooper that she is, she found this recipe, which uses white chocolate as the base for the salad dressing.



Like most dinner parties, I take photos of the first course and forget to photograph the rest.

Oh well.

Jeremy made chocolate bread (substituting walnuts for the chocolate chunks), a lightly sweet treat that paired perfectly with the salad.

Jessica made vegetable chili with cocoa. The chocolate flavor was subtle, but nice (especially with extra cilantro.)

We made the main course--bean enchiladas with chocolate mole sauce. The heat was freaking intense....I mean, my god, it had nearly 10 chiles in it...and the chocolate flavor was quite pronouced. Thankfully I'd made guacamole, which strangely had a cooling effect on the enchiladas (no chiles in the guac, just lots of lime). I don't know many people who could actually eat this without passing out from the spiciness, and I needed to take breaks after each bite. Yowza!

Katie made chocolate almond mousse for dessert.

It was actually difficult to find savory chocolate options--if anyone has any suggestions, please send them our way for the next chocolate dinner party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.