Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cheese tortellini with pitty pans, tomatoes and pesto and swiss chard


Four weeks ago at the farmer's market, I came upon an older guy with a tiny table of tiny vegetables. They were adorable, but I felt sort of bad for him, surrounded by bounty and only selling a few vegetables. I bought his tiny orange tomatoes and brought them home. Little did I know that we'd soon be eating the BEST DAMN TOMATOES EVER!!!!! Oh my god, they were so good--sweet like candy, firm and juicy with a deep, rich tomato taste. The next week we returned, and I gushed about his tomatoes. We bought two quarts, and he dashed us nearly a whole quart more. We ate so many tomatoes that week I had cancer sores. We went back the next week, but he had disappeared. How can I handle tomato harvest without anymore of his orange heavenly droplets? Jeremy searched online for possible tomato varieties--we think they're either sun gold hybrids or sunsugar FT hybrids. Guess what seeds are going on my Christmas list?
Here they play a supporting role with pitty pan squash, frolicking with pesto covered tortellini. This chard grew in Jeremy's mom's garden--we're nearing the end of our backyard splursh.

No comments: