Monday, May 21, 2007

Asparagus Pesto Lasagna and Hogue Cab Merlot

God, I love salad. And more than salad, I love this fabulous garlic artisan bread from the Wedge Co-op. Isn't that so lovely? Can you see that ENTIRE CLOVE OF ROASTED GARLIC? God, I'm just peeing my pants right now. And it was so tasty, lightly toasted with butter.
Augh! Yes!!







And then came the wines.




First, I must begin with a disclaimer.
Columbia Crest is a really decent wine for the money. I have never had a bad bottle, even that $3.99 sale Riesling in Atlanta once. (You'd think, it's only four dollars, it's got to be crap, but no, it's good.) This particular bottle, from 2002, had lived in my friends, Kim and Paul's, basement for the year we lived in Ghana, and then lived in our wine rack in Atlanta for the next year or so, and lived up here in Minneapolis for another few years. Is it any wonder that the cork was funky and the whole bottle tasted like my parent's old basement?
No. I do not blame you, dear Columbia Crest. We are still good friends. You can come over for dinner anytime. I hold no grudge.



We dumped the whole thing down the sink, (Goodbye, old friend!) and tried again with this dependable sweetheart, Hogue Cabernet Merlot. I used to drink a lot of merlot (you know, before the whole Sideways shaming), but then it started to give me headaches from the tannins. But this guy, he was friendly. Full, fruity body with lots of spice. Dry on the tongue but not like a desert.






Perfect with this extravaganza, Asparagus Pesto Lasagna.


















Is it a holiday? What? No? It's a Monday? And we're cooking this like we're having some secret dinner party and it's just us? Life is so fucking good sometimes. Fresh spring asparagus rocks my world, and this lasagna tastes richer than it normally is. It feels like we were dripping in butter or fat, but it's not actually that bad. Perfect as gravy for the previously mentioned garlic bread. (I know it's good when Jeremy's eyes roll back into his head after a bite, and when we are so full that we want to weep, but keep eating more because it's so tasty.)

My only problem is that whenever I eat lasagna (or pizza) without tomato sauce, it feels like something big is missing. I like pesto as much as the next gal, but I like my tomato sauce too. I would tweak the recipe...by adding at least 4 or 5 cups of wilted fresh spinach, 1-2 cups mushrooms and possibly some freshly diced tomatoes, and maybe a pinch of oregano.

No comments: