Sunday, May 6, 2007

Saturday night's dinner


2004 Fat Bastard Shiraz
Julie says:
Confusingly light wine. We've had this one a while, so I don't know if it would have been better last year, or if it tastes like this all the time. Tart, but not fruity. Dry on the tongue but not very tannic. Aftertaste that I couldn't quite place and just so damn light. I really like their Cabernet. Have to try again when Surdyk's has another sale.
Jeremy says:
I'm not remembering trying the Fat Bastard Cabernet. I'm remembering Sauvignon Blanc which was all kinds of tasty. This is not at all awful, but pretty thoroughly underwhelming (and I'm by no means someone who needs sublime transcendance from my wine). This is however yet another wine with animals on the label that has let us down. Now, like all good Americans, we love the combination of product and graphics, wine and animal labels, so I wouldn't take this pledge. It does make me a bit gun-shy, however, and I don't think I'd try this one again.


Meal: Perogis with parmesian, onions, garlic and mushrooms, with garlicky swiss chard. We boil our perogis first until they float, then pan fry them in a mixture of butter and olive oil until they are golden brown on both sides. At first, we thought the Trader Joe's brand perogis were going to be a mistake. They looked like those tear-shaped Chinese dumplings and seemed on the verge of falling apart. But they held together nicely and damn, they were tasty. Very garlicky and satisfying.
(By the way, we did return the previously reviewed Trader Joe's wine for full credit, even without a receipt. Whooo hoooo! More wine!)



No comments: